James G. Rodriguez
Houston City Council,
"Welcome to houstonlatinosummit.com. We hope this website will contribute to fostering better communications within the Houston area Latino community and beyond. We welcome your input and value your support. If you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to let us know."
The city of Houston is nearly half Latino with close to a million Latinos. It is important that we become more knowledgeable about who we are as a community.
- Create a network for local Latino leadership including elected and appointed officials, business and professional organizations, civil rights, immigration and education groups, non profits, and community activists for the purpose of creating a better awareness of our concerns.
- Identify projects and goals where we can be supportive of one another.
- Begin an awareness and educational campaign among Latinos concerning the 2010 Census, one of the most crucial issues of the coming year.
- Engage more Latino leaders toward political empowerment and identify political opportunities like vacancies and redistricting.
- Begin an area wide dialogue of important issues including education, immigration reform and public safety.
- Address low Latino voter registration and low Latino voter turnout rates.
- Better understand the concerns involving Houston economic and commerce empowerment.
It is our hope that the Houston Area Latino Summit will evolve into an entity that meets regularly—maybe bi-monthly.
News on Immigration Today
Houston Area Latino Summit